Tooth Extraction: What To Expect
No one wants to have a tooth pulled, but sometimes an extraction is the best option to preserve the well-being of your smile. If you have to have a tooth extracted in Groveport, don’t worry. The trusted team at Walnut Creek Dental East is here to ensure that the process goes as smoothly and comfortably as possible. Here’s what you can expect during your tooth extraction.
Reasons for Pulling a Tooth
There are many reasons that a person may need to have a tooth pulled. These include:
- Severe decay or damage
- Risk of infection
What Can I Expect During the Extraction Process?
Tooth extraction is among the most routine procedures that dentists perform. Here’s what will take place during your tooth extraction procedure:
- The dentist will use a local anesthetic to make sure the affected tooth and its surrounding area are completely numb.
- If the tooth is impacted, the dentist will first remove any tissue, such as gum or bone, that is covering the tooth.
- Next, the dentist will use forceps to grab and gently move the tooth back and forth until it comes out.
- After the tooth has been removed, the dentist will place gauze in the remaining hole to stop the bleeding. In some cases, dissolvable stitches will also be necessary.
How Long Does a Tooth Extraction Take?
The length of your tooth extraction will depend on how many teeth the dentist is removing. One tooth usually takes between 20-40 minutes. Each additional tooth should take no more than 15 minutes, depending on where it’s located.
Will I Experience Pain During the Extraction?
At Walnut Creek Dental East, your comfort is important to us. You shouldn’t experience any pain during your dental extraction procedure. With the help of local anesthetics, your mouth should be thoroughly numb. If you have concerns about discomfort, don’t hesitate to mention them during your consultation.
How Do You Prepare for a Tooth Extraction?
The best way to prepare for your tooth extraction is to communicate with your dental team so that you’re aware of what to expect. Be sure to ask your dentist lots of questions and bring up any concerns you may have. Additionally, it’s important to give your dental team a thorough review of your medical history, including any conditions you may have or medications you’re currently taking. Finally, be sure to follow the dentist’s instructions for steps to take prior to your extraction.
Steps to Take After the Extraction
Recovering from an extraction typically takes a few days. To help your recovery process go as quickly and comfortably as possible, keep these steps in mind:
- Rest for at least 24 hours
- Apply ice to the affected area immediately after the procedure to reduce swelling
- Bite down on the gauze pad and replace it as needed
- Don’t spit, rinse your mouth, or use a straw in the first 24 hours
- Don’t smoke
- Take pain medications as prescribed by your dentist
- Eat soft foods
- Avoid the extraction site when brushing and flossing your teeth
Walnut Creek Dental East: The Best Choice for a Tooth Extraction
Having a tooth pulled may sound scary, but it doesn’t have to be. At Walnut Creek Dental East, we’re eager to show you how convenient and comfortable undergoing a tooth extraction can be. We’re proud to provide the best in professional, compassionate dental care to the Groveport, OH, community. If you have a severely decayed or damaged tooth, give us a call today to schedule your complimentary consultation with our friendly team. We look forward to helping you maintain a healthy, beautiful smile for years to come!
Michael Pappas, DDS, MBA
Dr. Michael Pappas, a distinguished Ohio-based dentist and owner of two local practices, is recognized for his commitment to providing modern, comprehensive dental care rooted in a patient-focused approach. An Ohio State University alumnus, he holds a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and an MBA, and his ongoing pursuit of continuing education enables him to bring the latest in dental advancements to his patients. When not engaged in his profession or serving in leadership roles within dental organizations, Dr. Pappas is an active community member who enjoys physical activities and the companionship of his therapy dog, Roscoe.