Why Dental Cleanings are Essential
Everyone knows that cleaning your teeth at the dentist can help keep your teeth beautiful and strong, but did you also know that routine dental cleanings are essential to maintaining good overall health? It’s true. Professional teeth cleanings can prevent several oral health concerns that can lead to other serious health complications. If you’ve been putting off having your teeth cleaned and want to maintain good oral hygiene, the friendly team at Walnut Creek Dental East is a great dental office to achieve a brighter smile. Here’s what you should know about why dental cleanings are essential before scheduling your next appointment.
What Are Dental Cleanings?
Dental cleanings are preventative treatments that should be routinely performed to protect the well-being of your teeth and gums. People should have regular dental cleanings twice a year. This is because food particles and bacteria can build up in the crevices of your teeth and around your gum line. If this debris and bacteria aren’t removed with thorough brushing, it can lead to a clear, sticky film, called plaque, covering the surface of your teeth. Over time, plaque buildup can harden into tartar, which is impossible to remove by brushing at home and can lead to serious dental problems, including tooth loss. Dental cleanings can remove plaque and tartar buildup and prevent dental disease from developing.
What Occurs During a Dental Cleaning?
At Walnut Creek Dental East, we are committed to making your professional dental cleaning as comfortable as possible. Here’s what you can expect during your appointment:
- Dr. Pappas or a dental hygienist will use a special tool to gently scrape the plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth.
- Next, they will carefully floss between each of your teeth.
- Then, a fluoride solution will be applied to the surface of your teeth to protect them until your next dental cleaning.
- Lastly, they’ll have you rinse your mouth out and go over tips to improve your oral health habits at home.
What Do Dental Cleanings Prevent?
Dental cleanings are a critical part of maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile for life. Some oral health problems that dental cleanings can prevent include:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Bad breath
- Tooth loss
- Other health concerns, including diabetes and heart disease
What is the Difference Between a Dental Cleaning and a Dental Exam?
Because routine dental exams and cleanings are often performed during the same appointment, they can often be confused with the same procedure. On the contrary, dental exams and cleanings are essential for your general health. Here’s the difference between the two:
- Dental exam: This is performed by the dentist. It entails having X-rays taken of your mouth, then the dentist examining your teeth, gums, neck, and throat for signs of dental disease. If any concerning signs are found, the dentist will create a personalized treatment plan to improve oral health.
- Dental cleaning: This is typically performed after your dental exam by a dental hygienist. It is done to prevent dental diseases and entails the dental hygienist removing plaque and tartar from your teeth, then applying fluoride to your teeth to protect them.
Schedule Your Dental Cleaning at Walnut Creek Dental East
Keeping your smile healthy and beautiful for a lifetime is easier than you may think. By having your teeth cleaned every six months at Walnut Creek Dental East, you’ll be well on your way to smiling brightly for years to come. Contact us today to schedule your routine dental exam and cleaning. We look forward to showing you how comfortable and convenient caring for your teeth and gums can be!